Week 2, Part 1 - Intro to Social Media

There are many forms of social media.  Some are geared more toward personal use, and some seem to be more business oriented.  Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Snap Chat tend to be used more for personal use.  Although I have searched Facebook for businesses, I tend to go to Google or Yelp when I'm in need of a recommendation.  I appreciate reading reviews from other people so I can make a somewhat informed choice in restaurants, mechanics, dentists, etc.

I have both a personal and a business Instagram account, but notice that most of the people I follow are friends and family.  I will switch over to my business account for business posts rather than add them to my personal IG.  However, I think it would be okay to post something about my business on my personal page every now and then.  That being said, I don't want to bombard people with business posts who only follow my personal IG.  I am not very familiar with Snap Chat, but it seems to be more geared toward personal use.  My kids have Snap Chat accounts, but I haven't heard about businesses using Snap Chat.  Pinterest can be used for personal or business.  Many businesses advertise their products on Pinterest, and many people use it for inspiration in the form of Interior Design, home decor, recipes, and more.

Twitter and LinkedIn are, in my opinion, used for business networking and promotion.  There are definitely many people who use Twitter for personal use, but I think it's main purpose is for businesses to share views, opinions, news, etc.

I feel LinkedIn is strictly for professional/business use.  I think that all of the other social media platforms can be used for both personal and business use, but they all seem to lean one way or the other.

Comments

  1. I agree a lot of these sites are geared more towards personal use, I like how you keep your business and your private life separate on your social media. I feel you can keep things more organized that way, you're also the first person I read their blogs and they brought up looking at reviews on google and yelp.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 16 - Planning Your Future Strategy

Week 10, Post 1 - Adding Human Interest to a Post

Week 3, Part 1 - Communicating with Businesses on Social Media